Our community talks! Below is a list of area online and in-person discussion groups, civic clubs/associations, mailing lists, and blogs. HyCDC also regularly shares news and community bulletins through our social media too.
Table of Contents
- Online Discussion Groups
- News Outlets + Blogs
- In-Person Bulletin Boards
- Civic Clubs, Associations, Municipal Forums
In-Person Bulletin Boards
We recommend asking the following businesses - Browse our Business Directory for full contact information:
Online Discussion / Affinity Groups
- H.O.P.E. in Hyattsville Groups.io Group - The Discussion List for the Hyattsville Organization for a Positive Environment (H.O.P.E.) - HOPE encourages Hyattsville residents and the surrounding communities to work towards protecting the environment; creating a sense of community; and building a healthy local economy. HOPE strives to achieve these goals through education, activities and advocacy and communication.
- University Hills Area Civic Association Groups.io Group - The University Hills Area Civic Association (UHCA) represents the community generally located in the northern part of Hyattsville, bounded by the Northwest Branch Park on the west, the Adelphi Road corridor on the east and Northwestern High School on the south. It includes the University Hills, Ashland and Rosemary Terrace subdivisions. This email list and website is by, for, and about the neighborhood and its residents. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
- West Hyattsville Yahoo! Group - Dedicated to the residents of West Hyattsville, MD. Discussions are geared towards the improvement and buildup of the community.
- Hyattsville Nurturing Parents - A community dedicated to supporting parents with information, resources, and a social outlet for them and their young children.
- Town of Brentwood Groups.io Group - Please feel free to post items related to Brentwood that might be of interest including Yard Sales,Garage sales, local politics, public safety, local history, community events, Festivals, Concerts,General Questions, Business Items, Suggestions, architecture, gardening, Art, etc. All topics pertaining specifically to Brentwood, and surrounding areas are welcome.
- Mount Rainier Yahoo Group - Started in 2005 this is a message board for all the residents, ex-residents, and friends who care about the historic city of Mount Rainier, Maryland.
- Riverdale Park Town Talk - Open to all Riverdale Park residents. It is a way for you to discuss anything you think might be of interest to other residents or the town's government.
- SoHy Co-op Groups.io Group - The SoHy Co-op is a membership-based nonprofit group with the mission to create and support a vibrant mix of community, commerce and culture in the SoHy area of Hyattsville. We are a focused on the geographic area along Route 1 from Green Owl Design near Hamilton Street south to Shortcake Bakery at Charles Armentrout Drive. This group is for business + nonprofit owners and managers in that area.
- Memories of Growing Up In Hyattsville, MD - A community group inviting you to share your favorite photographs over the years.
- Gateway Arts District Facebook Group - Local Discussion Board. Many members repost events or supplement the Arts District's Events Calendar.
- Arts District Hyattsville Residents Group - Residents of the Arts District Hyattsville development by EYA Homes and Pulte Homes.
- Gateway Arts District LGBT Community - We encourage dialogue, discussion, discourse, and debate about issues concerning our communities.
- Gateway Dog Training Club - We are a club of dog owners who enjoy training our dogs using positive reinforcement methods. We have different levels of expertise, from no experience to more advanced, and learn from each other and from guest trainers.
- Adelphi, MD to Hyattsville, MD Freecycle Network
- Friends of the Hyattsville Branch Library
- Hyattsville Community Wiki - An editable website with various community resources.
- Add to our list? You can also share your announcement on the HyCDC Community Bulletin Board.
News Outlets + Blogs
- Hyattsville Life & Times - The newspaper is published monthly in print and online at www.hyattsvillelife.com by Hyattsville Community Newspaper, Inc., a 501c(3) nonprofit corporation. Copies are distributed monthly by U.S. Mail to every address in the City of Hyattsville. Additional copies are distributed to libraries, selected businesses, community centers and churches in the city for a total circulation of 9,300. Readers outside of Hyattsville can subscribe to the paper.
- Route One Fun - What's happening for kids and families alike along Route One in Maryland's Prince George's County.
- Route 1 Reporter - Covering politics, policy and policing in Prince George's County. Route 1 Reporter is a subscriber-supported independent local news website focused on Prince George’s County and its Route 1 communities.
- Hyattsville Patch - Once a hyperlocal AOL forum for Hyattsville government, local events, people, crime and education; now still an online forum, albeit no longer locally curated.
- Hyattsville Wire - The Hyattsville Wire is a neighborhood source for information and community news about the city of Hyattsville, Md., and the surrounding area, with a focus on arts, culture, history, and development along the Route 1 corridor.
Civic Clubs, Associations, Municipal Forums
The following clubs and groups are grouped by location; however, many have accept members from across the larger community. Clubs included in this list tend to be veterans' groups, residential associations, youth programs, and affinities. You can also find more groups like religious groups and art collectives on our Business Directory.
|- Adelphi Cool Spring Terrace Civic Association|
|- Avondale Citizens' Association, Inc.|
|- Eighth Precinct Civic Association|
|- Friendship Arms Tenants Association|
|- The City of Hyattsville Facebook Page|
|- The City of Hyattsville Nixle for Public Safety and Weather Information|
|- Arts District Hyattsville Residents Group - Residents of the Arts District Hyattsville development by EYA Homes and Pulte Homes.|
|- Hyattsville Freemasons Mount Hermon Lodge No. 179 - Freemasonry offers much to its members: the opportunity to grow; the chance to make a difference; to build a better world for ourselves and our children; to practice universal benevolence. It offers a chance to work with men who share the same values and ideals.||4207 Gallatin Street Box 308 Hyattsville, Maryland 20781|
|- Hyattsville Friends of the Library - Dedicated to ensuring the strength and quality of the library's future.|
|- Hyattsville Horticultural Society - One of the oldest garden clubs in America, was founded in 1916 by several University of Maryland professors. After being dormant for several years, it was restarted in 2006 by Gwyn Kesler. Its objective is to promote the knowledge, appreciation, and enjoyment of horticulture in the Hyattsville community and beyond via a wide range of educational and outreach programs. Membership is open to anyone who supports this objective.|
|- Hyattsville Preservation Association - As a community group we seek to engage residents in the preservation and promotion of the many historic homes and buildings in our city.|
|- Chillum Shelton D. Redden Lodge No. 139 (SDRL) of Prince Hall Freemasons||6060 Sargent Rd, Hyattsville, MD 20782|
|- Hyattsville Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Oriole Nr. 47||4210 Gallatin St., Hyattsville, MD 20781|
|- Hyattsville Volunteer Fire Department - Protecting residents and businesses from our primary response area of the City of Hyattsville and Town of University Park – to up and down the East West Highway, Route 1 and Adelphi Road corridors.||6200 Belcrest Rd, Hyattsville, MD 20782|
|- Lewisdale Citizens Association|
|- Chillum Rollingcrest Commons Tenants Association|
|- University Hills Area Civic Association is generally located in the northern part of Hyattsville, bounded by the Northwest Branch Park on the west, the Adelphi Road corridor on the east and Northwestern High School on the south.|
Greenbelt, Berwyn Heights
|- Greenbelt American Legion Post 136 - When we help someone in need, and do it as a group, we become part of that group. Our Post has a great group of members, and we work hand-in-hand with the Auxiliary and Sons of the American Legion (SAL).||6900 Greenbelt Rd, Greenbelt, Maryland
|- Greenbelt Knights of Columbus St. Hugh Council - Provides members and their families with volunteer opportunities in service to the Catholic Church, their communities, families and young people.||135 Crescent Road, Greenbelt, MD 20770|
|- Greenbelt Lions - Supports local youth groups, provides free eye care (eye exams and eyeglasses) for the needy, awards college and camp scholarships to local residents, and collaborates with other humanitarian efforts held throughout Greenbelt.||6900 Greenbelt Rd, Greenbelt, Maryland|
|- Greenbelt Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #2||6323 Greenbelt Rd, Berwyn Heights, MD 20740|
|- Greenbelt Rotary - An organization of professional men and women most of whom either live or work in the Greenbelt area. We were founded in 1988. Rotary members come from many professions and backgrounds; we have bankers, attorneys, teachers, realtors, travel agents, physicians, accountants, and a geologist among others.||6400 Ivy Ln, Greenbelt, MD 20770|
|- Berwyn Heights Volunteer Fire Department - We proudly serve a diverse population in the surrounding communities of Berwyn Heights, College Park and Greenbelt. We also respond to incidents with the neighboring fire stations in the Beltsville, Chillum, Glenn Dale, Hillandale, Hyattsville, Lanham, Laurel and Riverdale areas.||8811 60th Ave, Berwyn Heights, MD 20740|
|- Berwyn Civic Association - Stimulating interest in and devising ways and means for the promotion of the civic, community and general welfare, giving special attention to public improvements beneficial to the Berwyn area.|
|- Calvert Hills Citizens Association|
|- College Park Volunteer Fire Department #12 - Consistently striving to be a leading Fire/EMS department, fully mission capable, and determined to serve all of those within our community.||8115 Baltimore Avenue, College Park, MD 20781|
|- College Park Lions - A forum for open discussion, to encourage service-minded people to serve their community without personal financial reward, and to encourage efficiency and promote high ethical standards in commerce, industry, professions, public works and private endeavors.||6323 Greenbelt Road, College Park, MD 20740|
|- College Park Moose Lodge 453||3700 Metzerott Rd, College Park, MD 20740|
|- College Park Rotary||University Blvd E, College Park, MD 20740|
|- Lakeland Civic Association|
|- North College Park Citizens Association|
|- Westchester Civic Association|
|- Yarrow Citizens Association|
Riverdale Park, University Park
|- Riverdale Park Prince George's County Elks Lodge #1778||6700 Kenilworth Ave, Riverdale Park, MD|
|- Riverdale Park Volunteer Fire Department||4714 Queensbury Road, Riverdale Park, MD|
|- Riverdale Park Business Association|
|- Riverdale Lions Club - A group of successful professionals who meet every Wednesday evening for fellowship, to get informed on new issues from our guest speakers, to discuss local and international service projects, to have dinner together, and to have fun, lots of fun.||5008 Queensbury Road, Riverdale Park, MD|
Brentwood, North Brentwood, Mount Rainier
|- Brentwood Civic Association - 301-277-0203|
Bladensburg, Cottage City, Colmar Manor, Edmonston
|- Bladensburg Volunteer Fire Department #9 - A group of very dedicated members who spend their off time from regular jobs, serving the citizens of Bladensburg and other surrounding Prince Georges County areas.||4213 Edmonston Road, Bladensburg MD 20710|
|- Cottage City Civic Association|
|- North Brentwood Citizens Association|
|- Bladensburg Rotary Club / Rotary Club of Historic Prince George's County||4500 Crain Hwy, Bowie, MD 20716|
|- Maryland Municipal Officers' Lodge 9|
|- Prince George's County Fraternal Order of Police #89 - Represents and serves the over twenty-six hundred active and retired police officers of the Prince George's County Police Department.||2905 Old Largo Rd. Upper Marlboro, MD 20772|
A full list of civic uses, such as community centers, temples, parks, discussion groups, etc. can be found in our Business Directory: